1. Health
Lynne Eldridge MD

Lung Cancer Advocacy Summit 2010

By February 1, 2010

Here's our chance to make a difference.

Do you wish you could meet, and spend a few very meaningful days with other lung cancer advocates and/or lung cancer survivors? Do you long to do something to raise awareness about this dreaded disease, but wonder where to start?

The 2010 Lung Cancer Advocacy Summit hosted by the National Lung Cancer Partnership is set to take place from April 22-25, 2010. But hurry. Applications for the program need to be received by February 15, 2010.

The goal of the summit is to empower individuals who long to spread the word about lung cancer. Through networking, small group discussions, teaching workshops, and more, you will leave empowered to return to your own community and make a difference.

The program is open to 80 advocates, and anyone who is interested is encouraged to complete an application. If accepted, lung cancer advocates will receive 3 nights of paid hotel accommodations. Scholarships are also available for travel expenses if needed.

The date: April 22-25, 2010

Application deadline: February 15, 2010

The Place: Tampa, Florida

The Website: Lung Cancer Advocacy Summit 2010

I sometimes get in a funk and have a pity party when I observe the many events designed to raise awareness for breast cancer. Why does lung cancer have to be so - well - invisible? After all, it kills many more women than breast cancer each year. But I know I'm preaching to the choir.

Here's our chance.

Comments
February 2, 2010 at 10:17 am
(1) Dusty Joy Donaldson says:

This is an amazing opportunity for those who want to make a difference in the world of lung cancer. I have been privileged to attend the past two National Lung Cancer Partnership’s Advocacy Summit (first as a participant, then as a presenter). I cannot say enough about how powerful and constructive this summit is. If your world has been turned upside down, like so many of ours has, and you want to change the world, but you need some guidance, fill out the application to go to this summit. Not only will they equip you to change the world, you will meet some of the most wonderful, like-minded advocates who will become dear friends.

February 2, 2010 at 10:28 am
(2) Myrtle Chidester says:

I would strongly encourage those who would like to make a difference to apply to attend this Summit. As a stage IV survivor I feel such an obligation to change the way that lung cancer patients are treated in my own community and attending the Summit (2008) gave me the skills and the confidence to move forward. Our local organization has been welcomed by the community and we have enjoyed the positive impact we have been able to make on those affected by lung cancer. I am so grateful for the information and the opportunity provided by the Summit…it was one of the best things that happened to me since my diagnosis.

Sincerely,
Myrtle
Lung Cancer Connection

February 2, 2010 at 10:29 am
(3) Kathy Joosten says:

I would love to attend but, unfortunately, my time is not my own. I won’t know if I have to work until that week. If I’m free I plan on coming on down to Tampa. No sense in making a reservation until I know. In the meantime I’ve been doing public appearances. Right now I’m in Okalhoma City to talk to the American Lung Association of Oklahoma. Unfortunately, their theme this year is “Early detection, The Key To Saving YOur life” Not quite sure why they want to have a lung cancer person talk about that.. I continue to push to get other celebrities to come out. Bryant Gumbel did announce his cancer but, so far, refuses to go further. Can’t even get him to answer the attempts I’ve made to reach him. On Friday I will be speaking to the Eisenhower Medical Center in Rancho Mirage, outside of Palm Springs. I just keep stressing the same issues, the stigma and the resultant low funding. In March I will attend a walk/run for the Bonnie J Addario Foundation they are hosting in Santa Monica. We’re working on strssing the survival of Lung cancer rather than the ‘memorial’ aspect. We’re developing shirts that display the type of lung cancer and how long ago the survivor was diagnosed. We want to show that the disease can be survived to dispell some of the “its always fatal” mind set.

February 2, 2010 at 10:48 am
(4) Lynne Eldridge MD says:

Thank you Dusty Joy and Myrtle, for sharing your wonderful personal experience having been involved in the Summit. And, thank you so much Kathy for all you are doing. My prayers are with you as you walk the currently lonely path of a celebrity advocating for lung cancer. Your courage and persistence are inspiring. And yes, in addition to addressing the stigma and lack of funding, we need to dispel the “its always fatal” mind set. The 3 of you are certainly doing that! Blessings to all of you.

February 2, 2010 at 12:18 pm
(5) Julia Stroud says:

After being diagnosis with 2A in September of 08 and learning how “lucky” I was to find mine early I immediately sought out groups where I could learn more about advocacy work. In doing so I was accepted to the Summit last year and found exactly what I was looking for. It was an extremely well done and when coming back to my town with the knowledge and support to put on a 5K I felt like I had a bone to give to a hungry dog. That dog being our community with other Lung Cancer survivors and relatives who wanted something FINALLY for Lung Cancer. We had over 830 participants and raised about $88,000–only a little over 10,000 went for putting it on–They have what I fondly call “Race in a can”. Kudos ladies and I am looking forward to doing even better this year!

February 2, 2010 at 8:31 pm
(6) Suzanne D. says:

I attended the Summit in 2009 because I wanted to learn how I could go back to my community and increase awareness for lung cancer. It was an absolutely amazing experience; not a day goes by that I don’t think about one of the inspring people that I met there. I feel lucky to have been able to attend, and I am excited for what the future holds in my town — a 5k fund raiser and many other community events. A

pply! You won’t regret it!

February 5, 2010 at 7:35 pm
(7) Rita Bubb says:

I was very fortunate to be selected to attend the 2008 Summit and I am planning to apply for this 2010 Summit.
Before the ’08 summit, I had only met one other person really willing to speak out about having had lung cancer. It was so very inspiring to meet other lung cancer survivors and relatives of lung cancer patients. Since then I was asked to review grant requests and I put many hours into this task. It is sad that we aren’t’ able to fund all of these requests. These researchers for lung cancer depend on grant monies and they also face the stigma in reduced funding of their research.
So, if you have the chance to attend the 2010 Summit, just do it!
I am a 9 year lung cancer survivor. :)

February 9, 2010 at 11:30 am
(8) Lori Hope says:

Like Dusty, I have attended the past two summits, first as an advocate, then as a presenter. I strongly encourage anyone who wants to learn how to make a real difference, find true inspiration, and make new friends to apply.

I believe that we are about to reach the “tipping point” in lung cancer, and you can help tip the scale.
Lori Hope

August 27, 2010 at 10:01 pm
(9) helpbillbarry says:

Angels are all around us. Bill Barry spent his life helping others. Now with cancer, he needs the help he would never ask for.
It is a very difficult moment for a person to suffer any cancer disease. We are trying to raise funds for Bill Barry’s cancer care.
On July 7, 2010, Bill Barry, was diagnosed with small cell lung cancer, which has already metastasized to his liver.
It leaves him only with an expensive and grueling course of chemotherapy to extend his life. He just turned 48 on August 1st. His family want him to have so many birthdays to come. In the past year, they lost their family member, his beloved 21 year old son. Now it’s only him, his wife, and daughter, left to deal with more than they ever thought they’d face.
He has Medicare, which will only pay for 80% of his medical costs, and nothing of his prescriptions. The remaining cost is much more than his wife can afford on her limited income. He has never lost a battle, and they can’t imagine him starting now, so they’re looking to pay for a lot of chemotherapy treatments.
It is the people whose lives he has touched over the years that are reaching out to you now. It would be wonderful if he received just a fraction of the kindness that he’s given to others, now, in his time of need. Our community has been improved for his being here, and would not be the same without him.