1. Health
Lynne Eldridge MD

Patient Misconceptions About Treatment Results With Stage 4 Lung Cancer

By October 26, 2012

It seems to be a general thought that chemotherapy will rid the body of cancer. Even when a cancer is in the later stages - stage 4 - there seems to be a hope that perhaps in some people, chemotherapy will be curative. Kind of like the lottery.

ALT TEXT

But that's not the case. And sadly, too few stage 4 lung cancer patients (and stage 4 colon cancer patients) understand that.

I have to admit, it's not just patients. Just recently I held on to a feeling that chemotherapy would cure a friend with stage 4 lung cancer. Somehow I thought that she would beat the odds, and a treatment that was only designed to lengthen life, would save hers. But that's, unfortunately, not how chemotherapy usually works for stage 4 cancer.

When chemotherapy is given for stage 4 lung cancer it can extend survival. People may live a few weeks longer. Maybe months longer. (An exception may be people treated with some of the targeted therapies such as Tarceva (erlotinib) in people with EGFR mutations or Xalkori (crizotinib) in people with ALK mutations.) Chemotherapy can also be palliative. In other words, it may kill off a part of a tumor resulting in an improvement in symptoms such as shortness of breath or coughing. But, it doesn't cure cancer. In other words, with rare but wonderful exceptions, it doesn't work like a miracle and completely clear a tumor for some fortunate people.

Researchers decided to see if patients understood this concept. In other words, what percent of patients were carrying a false hope that chemotherapy may cure their disease? The results brought tears to my eyes. 69% of stage 4 lung cancer patients (and 81% of stage 4 colorectal cancer patients) didn't understand that chemotherapy was not at all likely to cure their cancer.

It was interesting that patients who said they had good communication with their physicians were more likely to carry false hope that chemotherapy could be curative. Why? One possibility is that sharing the bad news results in patients being less happy with their physicians. Yet that's only speculation. It is, however, a thought that oncologists may wish to consider. Are they allowing their patients to feel this false hope in order to be "liked" better by their patients? On the other hand, are oncologists afraid that sharing the truth will remove hope?

Which brings up an important point. Hope. How can we help people with stage 4 lung cancer hang on to hope, while sharing the truth about treatments? What are your thoughts?

Check out this story beautifully shared by one of our About.com guides, Alison Doyle:

Photo: National Cancer Institute, Rhoda Baer (photographer)

Source:

Weeks, J. et al. Patients' Expectations about Effects of Chemotherapy for Advanced Cancer. The New England Journal of Medicine. 2012. 367:1616-1625.

Comments
October 27, 2012 at 12:54 am
(1) Seriously says:

Recently a very good friend was diagnosed Squamous Cell Lung Cancer Stage 3. I did a major amount of research for him & his wife just so they had easy access without wasting time doing it themselves. What I found astonishes me. The oncologist waited 3 weeks to start chemo, and did not discuss anything what so ever about options. She simply stated this 1 drug was it because the other 1 available had horrible side effects. No discussion on clinical trials or current news (Yavoy), no talk of angiogenesis drugs or diet, gamma knife, etc. There was no progression in the following weeks and then the doc decided to use radiation. Before he left to go home he became short of breath. He was admitted to the ICU and they found fluid around his heart that had cancer cells in it. By now I have found numerous trials that would of accepted him with these conditions. They stopped chemo and said thats all we can do. While we all realize its terminal had the doc bothered to keep up on current treatments they could have tried the newer protocols. She had no clue that a trial was beginning at the very facility she worked (Kaiser).
They accepted stage IV Non Small Cell Lung Cancer with heart problems. She never discussed palliative treatments.

October 27, 2012 at 3:34 pm
(2) lungcancer says:

Seriously — This is so sad to hear about your friend. Unfortunately, you aren’t alone. I wish we didn’t have to be our own advocates so much in the medical system, but we do. My heart goes out to everyone who has to navigate the system. Even with my own cancer — as a physician who has a little “inside” knowledge, and seeking care at a very reputable cancer center — I have had countless times that I have had to be my own advocate to get the care we all deserve with cancer. That has included both finding treatments on my own that weren’t offered, and refusing treatments in which I felt the risks outweighed the benefits. We do have a guide at about.com that covers how to be your own advocate in navigating the medical system. The url of her site is http://patients.about.com and I have used her articles often both to share with my readers, and to help me in my own journey with cancer.

October 28, 2012 at 1:18 am
(3) Seriously says:

What is really sad is he just seemed overnight to give up. His Doc. convinced him very quickly to accept it. He trusts her and never questioned it. It had not spread to his bones,head,neck only to a lymph node. I guess not everyone has the tenacity to research for hours & days. Mine is natural as I have a severely handicapped child that has odd problems, ones that have been missed by her docs. (Celiacs, osteoporosis,grand mal seizures caused by a faulty baclofen Pump, aspirating from over filling her feeding tube >> 36+pneumonias to which I stopped and fed her slowly and less & shes had 0 pneumonias its now been 6 yrs.) I feel so sad my friend has no one that is fighting for him. You should not have to waste your energy/health seeking treatments. What is wrong with our world? No one cares is the problem or very few.

June 25, 2013 at 5:34 am
(4) Lan says:

Good day! Would you mind if I share your blog with my zynga group?
There’s a lot of folks that I think would really enjoy your content. Please let me know. Thanks

June 28, 2013 at 9:04 pm
(5) white crane qigong says:

My spouse and I stumbled over here by a different web address and thought I should check things out.
I like what I see so i am just following you.
Look forward to going over your web page yet again.

July 2, 2013 at 4:18 am
(6) Sara says:

This web site really has all of the information I wanted concerning this subject and didn’t know who to ask.

July 2, 2013 at 4:20 am
(7) eye floaters no more review says:

This is really interesting, You are a very skilled blogger.
I’ve joined your rss feed and look forward to seeking more of your great post. Also, I’ve shared your site in
my social networks!

July 2, 2013 at 8:55 pm
(8) Weight Watchers Community says:

This is the right web site for anyone who wants to find out about this topic.
You understand a whole lot its almost hard to argue with you
(not that I actually will need to_HaHa). You certainly put a brand new spin on a
subject that has been discussed for decades. Excellent stuff, just wonderful!

July 16, 2013 at 3:17 pm
(9) Erik says:

This piece of writing is in fact a nice one it assists new web people, who
are wishing for blogging.

October 28, 2013 at 3:50 am
(10) sandra says:

Hello friends, Iím from Austria I want to tell the whole world about the good deeds DR.EKUMABOR did for me, I was diagnosed of a cancer disease (liver cancer), I was told by my family doctor, that I have only 8 months to live on planet earth, I was so depressed, I was thinking about my family, I donít want to leave them behind, I will not surely die of this cancer that was my prayer, I was told by a friend of mine that, he have heard of DR.EKUMABOR curing HIV/AIDS in that case he can also cure your cancer disease, I never believe in spell, I collected his email from him, then I contacted him via email, he told me not to bother myself, that everything will be alright, I believed him, due to the way he said it. He asked me to purchase some items, which I did, he casted the spell and tell me that am free from the bondage, he also asked me to go for checkup, the CANCER disappeared from my body totally, I am forever in debt to him, I owe you a lot Doctor. If you have any deadly disease like HIV/AIDS, ALL TYPES OF CANCER, GONORRHEA, SYPHILIS, and ANEMIA any disease you can think off. Kindly email him now on dr.ekumaborspellhome@gmail.com

December 13, 2013 at 12:31 pm
(11) chop saw says:

Wow! Thank you! I constantly wanted to write on my blog something
like that. Can I take a part of your post to my website?

January 5, 2014 at 10:55 am
(12) Catherine T. Adams says:

This page certainly has all of the information and facts I wanted about this subject and didnít know who to ask.

March 23, 2014 at 6:31 pm
(13) florencedeckson says:

Hello people in the world I am Florence deck/son my testimony about my ugly situation of my health, I was HIV positive and with a spell on my body over ten years of time, I and my family who so much concern of my have goes a long way seeking for cure all over the places that we can go to and we have lost our hope nothing can be done any longer because of area we visited spend huge amount of money and at the end nothing changes about the spell and the HIV, Until one faithful day that I met my friend in the hospital when I went for check up and I told him about my suffering then she gave me a location where her aunty cure her own so I just think that it may be the same places that I have been before so I told my sister about so she gave me money and I went to the place getting there I explain my self to the man and tell me my HIV status then he gave instructions and he treated me with his herbs just for two weeks ,and he ask me to go for test and I said on my mind maybe he is cheating me again so I do what he said but glory be to God then I went back to the man with the result .he said that it is well and he take me to a building at night and ask me to bath with the water in the bow and gave me little to drink and I slept off but the following morning I urinate it was black in nature that was how the spell was out of me till date. Please this man I worth giving him millions, please in any situation you find yourself that is not the end and I know that all power belong to God but he works through person, so if you need his help visit him at udomightyspellcastertemple@yahoo.com thanks be to God halleluya am healed,